Sunday 8 May 2016

Orange Cat Dress

Two weeks ago I made a dress - my favourite, and most advanced dress to date. Last time I visited Ikea (yes, Ikea) I found this lovely orange cat fabric, and I knew immediately that I had to buy enough of it to make a dress. And so I did, and here it is: 


I don't own any dress patterns, so I made my own. I picked out an old top that I really like and traced its outline onto paper, then used the home made pattern to sew a similar top from the cat fabric. I then took what remained of the fabric and turned it into a skirt, before sewing the skirt and top together. I also added a elastic band to the waist to create a nicer waistline.


I love this dress so much, and I've worn it several times already. It's so so comfortable and fits me perfectly - I guess that's the beauty of sewing your own clothes! The only thing this dress lacks are pockets, but I haven't learned how to add pockets yet, so that'll have to be for some other dress some other time. I realise this dress might be a bit over the top for some people, but to me it's perfect. I love cats, and orange is one of my favourite colours, so what could possibly be better than a dress with an orange cat print? 

This is how the dress makes me feel:

Can't wait to make another dress like this one!


What do you think of the dress? Over the top or spot on? 




2 comments:

  1. I just found your blog and I really like it :) Great illustrations!
    Awesome dress :) I saw this post and remembered some great pockets tutorials I have pinned earlier.
    http://www.ikatbag.com/2010/12/pocketful-of-sky-summary-and-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for such kind words, Raquel, and welcome to my blog! I hope you'll stick around. :) And thank you for the pocket tutorial! It's sure to come in handy. :D

      Delete