Wednesday 16 March 2016

Drawing without a plan: An example

I always have an urge to draw, but I don't always have a good idea readily available in my head. Luckily this isn't always the case, but it can be very frustrating when it does happen, as nothing is quite as intimidating as a blank sheet of paper. However, I do have a solution, and that is drawing without a plan. 

 Whenever I find myself desperately clutching my pencil but not daring to put it to paper, I try to think of one thing, one object (be it a carrot, a tree, a bug or a tea cup), and I draw that object. This time, I drew a cat.


Once you've started drawing, carrying on drawing is a whole lot easier, even if you don't have a clear idea of what you want the finished piece to look like. I decided I wanted my cat to be outside, and thus drew a wall for him to lie on.


I then realised the wall was probably enclosing a garden, and so I started drawing a garden.


And, as I'm sure we can all agree, no garden is complete without a hammock, so I threw one of those in there as well.


A house followed suit.   


And before I knew it I had filled the whole sheet.  


Colouring it all in was, as always, very meditative, and served as a fitting reward.


I want to be this cat. <3 


The finished drawing! Excuse me while I pack up my things and move into this house. I'll only be a second.  


-

What do you do when you lack of inspiration?

1 comment:

  1. Men ÅH vilken helt fantastisk katt och sååå fint att få se bilden växa fram! Jag blev alldeles varm av detta inlägg - du är så grymt bra :)

    ReplyDelete